We understand that it‘s hard to think about your funeral. But a Golden Charter Funeral Plan is a safe, simple way to plan ahead that can save your family worry and expense. It can also really help make things easier for your loved ones at a difﬁcult time. And as our plan holders often tell us, that can be a big weight off your mind.
How do funeral plans work?
A funeral plan allows you to pay the cost of the funeral director‘s services at today’s prices and gives you more control over your funeral arrangements. We believe it’s important for you to get the funeral you want, and for your family to receive a genuinely personal service when it really counts. So when you purchase your plan we’ll appoint a local funeral director to take care of your requests. Or, if you have a preferred funeral director in mind, just let us know when you take out your plan. When the time comes, just one phone call to your funeral director will activate your plan. Everything will then be carried out according to your wishes.
Why should I get a funeral plan?
Some reasons as to why it is important to have a funeral plan in place.
Avoid rising funeral costs.
Nobody wants their family to face money worries in the future. But funeral costs have risen by 88% over the last ten years, and while the average cost of a funeral in 2004 was £1,920, by 2014 it was £3,609. At this rate, the average cost of a funeral in 2024 could be more than £6,800. ‘The average cost of a funeral in the UK. Source: Mintel 2014.
Peace of mind for you and your family.
At a stressful time, it could help your family avoid difficult decisions – and prevent any ﬁnancial worries over how to pay for the funeral costs.
Save money by acting today.
That’s why it pays to act now. With a plan from Golden Charter. no matter how much the price of your funeral director’s services increase in the future, your family will have nothing more to pay for the services included in your plan – guaranteed. And the sooner you take out a plan, the greater the saving could be.
What’s included in a funeral plan?
We offer a choice of four funeral plans to ensure all your needs are covered. Each plan includes:
- The funeral director’s services
- We work with over 3,300 independent funeral directors throughout the UK, giving you the widest choice
Your funeral director will provide expert advice and guidance on all aspects of the funeral arrangements.
- Advice on the certiﬁcation and registration of the death and related documentation
- The funeral director will support your loved ones and make it as straightforward as possible.
- The cofﬁn
- The type of cofﬁn is dependent upon the type of plan you purchase.
- Transportation of the deceased to a suitable resting place within a 15 mile radius
- As an additional beneﬁt. should you die away from home but within mainland UK, we will arrange
transportation back to the funeral home.
- Care of the deceased prior to burial or cremation
- Please note this excludes embalrning.
- Use of a chapel of rest or service rooms
- A resting place for the deceased. Family viewing is included in the Select and Premier Plans.
- A hearse to a local cemetery or crematorium
- Our Select and Premier plans also include the use of one or two limousines for the deceased‘s loved one:
Conﬁdential assistance with bereavement counselling, if required
- The level of assistance provided is dependent upon the type of plan purchased.
- A Will for you, a family member or a friend which will be reviewed by our legal team.
- A Will is included in every Golden Charter Funeral Plan.
Taking out a plan for a loved one
If you wish, you can take out a funeral plan for someone else in your family. All you need to do is complete the ‘plan holder’s representative‘ section of the application process. If you prefer not to discuss this with your loved one. we guarantee complete confidentiality unless you choose to pay by fixed monthly payments in which case the plan holder will be contacted directly by AXA Wealth Ltd.
Your investment is protected
We are proud to be registered with the Funeral Planning Authority and follow their Code of Practice. Also, we’re the only funeral plan provider recommended by the National Society of Allied 8: Independent Funeral Directors (SAIF). With a Golden Charter Funeral Plan, your payments are completely protected. Your money is paid into the Golden Charter Trustt, which is run by an independent Board of Trustees who manage the Trust’s funds on behalf of our plan holders and safeguard future payments to funeral directors. When the time comes, the funeral director’s services included in your plan are guaranteed to be covered. 1’ Or paid to a UK life assurance company for the ﬁxed monthly payment option.